Monday, October 16, 2006

A Good Read...


I just finished reading this book. It's about a woman who was at work at the World Trade Center, Tower 1, 36th floor, when the terrorists attacked. It's difficult to read all that she experienced inside the building while trying to escape. The pictures that we watched on TV during the event couldn't show us how compromised the buildings were on the inside - even from the 36th floor on down.
Let me just share a passage from the end of the book:

"He (the Lord) gave me peace but left this thorn: that I never shared the gospel with my friends. I never loved it enough.
You see, I didn't expect that one day I would be the one left standing in a crowd of hundreds taking their last breath. I didn't know that my words would be the last words that someone else would ever hear.
I never knew life could make such demands.
I didn't expect that searching eyes would search my soul looking for answers and wanting to know "why me."
I never understood the accountability that comes with truth...I never accepted the responsibility that comes with real love.
And so I have learned that my life does not belong to me. I understand now how words exhale life, and I will never again hold my breath for so long a time as this."

A very thought provoking, exceptionally well-written book.

No comments: